Thursday, March 31, 2016

One of Those Rare German Events

I sat today.....on a public bus in Wiesbaden....and had one of those rare audit events where some group of four ticket-audit people enter the bus to challenge people.  Typically, it's two or three....rarely four in a group.

I'm always prepared.....I have a ticket....I play by the rules.

So today, I was in Mainz and bought a one-way ticket back across the river, to my little village on the outskirts of Wiesbaden....all within the 6500- area (fantastic that Wiesbaden and Mainz, along with their 'burbs' all fall into this one zone).

So, I flash my ticket and think I have nothing to worry about.

The dimwit audit person takes one brief look....goes into a wrong-ticket stance, and I'm sitting there in disbelief about the stupidity of this audit person.  I state my position....it's the one and only ticket required....I am correct.  She's shaking her head.

There's an argument about to erupt.

Then a second audit person approaches....older guy in his 50's and you can tell that he's been at this for years.  One single glance, and he's given me the thumb's up....no issue.  The first audit person.....still trying to make it an issue....but eventually realizes that it's a good ticket.

The thing here....is that this is probably one of the few jobs in the world where you could barely graduate from any school.....barely speak German....and be half-way incompetent, and still get a full-time job.  I don't want to insult anyone but even a McDonalds employee has to be somewhat smart to do all the various processes required to make the shift operation work.  As you look over at a grocery operation.....you can be minor bit dim and lack enthusiasm but still make it in the profession. But the ticket audit business for buses?  It just doesn't take much to be in the profession.  Face it....where will you go in twenty years?  You probably get one single pay-raise every ten years and feel happy with the hours involved.

I rarely get negative about German competence but I crossed that line today.

No comments: