Tuesday, August 31, 2010

If You Write It, They Will Pass It

The Local reported the article...which has appeared around Germany yesterday in various publications. The German government more or less admitted that its new citizenship test is "golden" (passable to the max). They are reporting that 98 percent of immigrants are making it on the first attempt.

Naturally...this makes the big guys in the government upset because now they think it's TOO easy.

The numbers? 120,000 took the test....and 2,700 had to repeat it. Of the 2,700....roughly ninety percent passed it on the second attempt.

Back around four years ago, when this discussion came up....I found a copy of the test in English. Without studying it...I took the 100-question test (the real test today involves only 33 questions). I came to pass with 75 correct answers. Now, I will admit I have a background in history and government. I will admit that I've traveled around the country and know a fair amount of German writers and philosophy. But if you consider...with no studying and no classroom attendance (as forced today)...I did pretty well.

At the time, and even now...I've suggested that if you gave the same test to a dozen Germans of age forty....I'd bet on less than half passing it on the first attempt. A lot of Germans know nothing about German literature or art. I'd wager that half the Germans over the age of forty know much about the way that laws are passed, and frankly, they don't care.

So a tougher test? Just how tough do you want it? An essay test to be judged by some Frankfurt University literature professor? A test to spell out the state capitals of each German state? A question that requires you to remember the chief characters of the forty-four best German fictional works? Or how about a test to disassemble an engine of a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle?

Frankly, if people are given 300 test questions ahead of time....the majority will memorize them. It doesn't matter if we talking nuclear physics or the history of Japan. So either accept the outcome or just get dopey in front of the camera as you explain why you are so unhappy with the test.

No comments: