Sunday, October 22, 2023

A Fee To Enter Cafes, Bars and Resturants in Germany?

 Well...Focus had a business piece today and talked over this topic that the cost of operating bars, cafes and restaurants is escalating in Germany.  Rather than scare people with food/drink prices....there's this crazy idea that you'd charge folks some fee (say 3 to 6 Euro) as they enter your shop (per person).

I paused over this.

My wife (German in nature) would respond 'hell, no' if pushed into going into a pub or restaurant that charged some fee at the door (even if it were two Euro).

My feeling?  We are at some point where beer prices (especially for premium beer) is at a ridiculous rate.  Food?  Cordon Bleu is now around 18.50 Euro to 20.00 Euro.  

I would be guessing that one out of three Germans have cut their monthly beers-out or eating-out routine already.

The fast-food places?  I doubt that they'd go to this fee business, but I could see local pubs and bakery-cafes easily getting into the habit.  I was at one bakery last year where they charge a slightly higher cost for coffee, if you linger and stay inside of their operation....so it was smarter to get a coffee 'to-go'. 

No comments: