Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Med Chatter

 

I ended up at a Air Force clinic two weeks ago....for a shoulder problem.  It is my last visit probably, and I'll just use Tricare/Social Security policy for private healthcare from this point on.  Yeah, I'll be seeing my local German doctor.

Airman 'Snuffy' went down the obvious questions prior to the Doctor coming in. 

It was the 20-odd questions they are now mandated into asking.  Do you smoke?  Do you drink in a reasonable fashion?

Then he comes to the danger signs...where used to be just one single question....do you feel like harming yourself?  Except this time....he had two additional questions....which basically went down to the dangerous stuff on your mind as well.  

Up until the mid-1990s....you could visit a Air Force clinic, and have zero questions.  Then they started to collect 'extra' data.   I generally hate going to clinics or doctors....with my negativity getting worse since the questions came into play.

After he left, I gazed at the poster shown here.  This was another thing added to their questions in the past couple of years....if you have pain....how much pain.  If you suggest anything from number 4 to number 6....this usually gets Airman 'Snuffy' all worried (especially 5 or 6) and he'll run off to the Doc real quick.  I try to avoid those descriptions in my wording.

The German doctor/clinic?  There's no list of questions....and you'd have to volunteer an awful lot....to get to the key issue for the visit.  It's one of the few German things that I truly appreciate....other than waiting 40-odd minutes in the waiting room....there's a six-minute session with the doctor, and quick-to-the-point analysis.  

2 comments:

HD Wrench said...

After retirement from the Army, I started German insurance. Glad I did, the military health benefits for retirees went downhill. Now it's a nightmare, unless you want to become Trans or change your pronouns. Then, they are all over it.

PROCON said...

I'm on VA healthcare (70% VA disability) in WA state and it's fine. It can be slow getting a specialty Doctor appt but if needed, you can go to an urgent care clinic or emergency room if needed and VA will pay it.
VA healthcare is much better than it was 10 years ago, Congress finally funded it.
Now I know some VA's across the country suck and Vets complain but it all comes down to the clinic/hospital management, whether they're pro-veteran or just a useless bureaucrat waiting for retirement.
But yes, they do ask a lot of silly questions too.