Monday, June 15, 2015

If You Did Have Writers-Block

It was a hot Friday afternoon, in the midst of The Hague, and I needed to quench my thirst. So I paused and looked at a pub on the side of the street.

Umbrellas.....plenty of tables.....home-brewed beer noted on the sign. I sat and ordered 'the blonde'......an appealing beer which the waitress recommended.

As it came.....I noted some guy from over my shoulder walking up with a violin case and appearing to start a sidewalk musical situation. Classical violin, I assumed. Three minutes after tuning his violin.....he laid into some powerful Ozark Mountain music and I fell into a daze.

In a million different settings, with a million potential musicians, what are the odds that you'd have some guy who actually knew Ozark fiddler music and he could make you almost weep with his tunes.  And then he opened his mouth and delivered a five-star voice.

My mind opened up.  A young lady drove on a 30-year-old bike with a James Dean-like tattoo on her thigh.  An Amazon-like woman walked by with a cowboy hat on.  A bald garbage guy walked by.

For an hour, it was a powerful atmosphere for the creative mind. Music, a perfect beer, and five-star characters out of some Steinbeck novel.....compliments of the Fiddler on Fiviervismarkt Street. If you are in The Haag, and feel in need of fixing writers block or rediscovering life.....I'd recommend the Fiddler.

Order a cold brew, and be prepared.

No comments: