Monday, April 20, 2020

Offnungsdiskussionsorgien?

"Öffnungsdiskussionsorgien" is a new German word, and might be the word of the year.

It's one of those 24-letter words that Germans invent out of thin-air.  When I first looked at it, and did the English translation....it comes out to being 'opening discussion orgies (plural)'.

Naturally, me being from the US (Alabama)....if you and tried to use this word 'orgy' and it'd trigger my associates to ask if I'm talking about a open discussion with several couples for a group orgy.  You know....like those in a house-trailer park where you got six couples, four cases of beer, and chips.  The type of party that doesn't get discussed in public, but always hinted that it's a 'sure-thing'. 

But then you gotta remember.....we are talking about Germans here.  So Offungsdiskussionsorgien is this term where the news media is hyped up and they want to know in some open forum....when ALL things will open up from the virus-business. 

Yeah, they basically want you the political figure to sign up and give them a day for X, Y, and Z. 

In the Chancellor Merkel world, this is a NO-GO.  You never (ever) establish an iron-clad date or promise.  You always label things as a 'work in progress'.  Merkel would just as soon sign up for a root-canal episode.....than go and promise something on particular day. 

There are a thousand things I do enjoy about Germany, but these 20-letter invented phrases/words, and what they really mean.....is a big negative.  And don't even bother asking if this is a die, der or das phrase.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello. I just discovered your blog (non-blog), and I love the name Scnitzel Republic.

I lived at the Amelia Earhart Hotel from 1967 through 1970, and I left a piece of my heart there. I'm presently writing a book that takes place in that time and place.

I was a medical editor for the CDC, and I wrote a book called "Tuesday in Texas" (self-published). It's on Amazon and got good reviews. Not hyping the book - just adding to my credentials as a writer.

Might I use you as a resource? Just an occasional question about geography etc?

Schnitzel_Republic said...

Feel free, the hotel still stands (the American Arms does not). The old German 'snack' shop....Walter's Futterkrippe still operates opposite of it. Probably the same menu as existed in the 70s.

Daz said...

Probably the same chef. ;)