Monday, June 29, 2026

Burnham

 Andy Burnham gave his UK-I'm-going-to-be-your-PM speech this AM.

What I got out of it?  Well....he says to fix all of the UK problems...he'll need 10 years.

I had to quit at some point where that was said.....being unable to take anything serious.

I am reminded of a used car I owned....continually broke....the mechanic finally said something to the effect....'look, I can fix this once and for all but it'll cost you ten times the value of the car'.   The catch was....I  simply dump it and buy a brand new vehicle.

The UK needs a 'Jesus'....somebody very likeable like a Merkel but without a lot of BS or promises.

This UK-Jesus....does he/she even exist?  I doubt it.

Is anyone buying the 10-year plan guy? 

5 comments:

Wilco said...

What kind of a car was your lemon?

Schnitzel_Republic said...

Mercedes 280....early 1970s.....owner had died and his wife stored the car in a barn for 12 years. About every 6 weeks....some repair required....100 to 300 DM. My boss had bought it originally (very low miles) from the widow for 2,000 DM. She just wanted it gone from the barn. I bought it (with a satellite receiver) for 500 DM from him. Tons of power....gas guzzler.

Wilco said...

Cars that sit deteriorate, surprisingly fast.
I've had and worked on several of that era. Nice cars , but expensive to keep up.

Schnitzel_Republic said...

This particular car....required a fair amount of mildew resolution on the interior. Base vehicle inspector....had major issues upon leaving the barn....huge rust issues on driver's side. Gave a waiver to my boss....but had to replace entire panel for next inspection. Lasted with me for about 15 months.....broke axle was the end-point. 78/79 period, at Rhein Main....I knew a guy who'd had five cars 'pass-away' over 3 years.....he'd only fix up junkers....stuff from the early 1960s. Guys from that era had patience (and a tool-kit in the trunk with duct-tape).

Wilco said...

I have Inherited from my late father a 1977 european spec MB 280 SL convertible 4 speed , dad bought it from the estate of Kurt Manfield (Famous DKW motorcycle racer)
It's pretty low miles and has a great body, unfortunately , it hasn't been driven in twenty plus years , so i'm going to have to rebuild the few injection system and the brakes , all from him , not driving it even though I volunteered many times :)