Tuesday, March 5, 2024

A Little Used Car and Bank Story

 I bank with a credit union that has establishments here on US bases in Europe.  Back in 1998....I was 'hot' for a new but used vehicle.  So I went to the credit union 'lot'.  They had six vehicles.

One of them...was a BMW 500-series...around 2 years old, with about 35k km's on it.  They wanted absolute blue-book....of which I offered 85-percent of that, of which they said 'NO'.

So I bid on a second vehicle....offering around 90-percent of their blue-book price....they accepted that.

Six months passed....I went over by the lot.  The BMW 500 series was still there.

Twelve months passed....I went over.  The car was still there.  The gal I talked to...indicated that it was now approaching 18 months on the lot.  I offered 70-percent of the blue-book.....with them declining.  

Eighteen months passed....I went over.  It was still there.  This was roughly 24 months of just sitting there.

At 24 months, I went by....yeah, it was still there.  It would make 30 months of just being parked.

At 30 months, I went by....it was gone.  No idea who bought it or what they paid.  I doubt seriously that the guy offering more than two-thirds of the blue-book price.

The negative of the vehicle?  Well...it was German-spec's....meaning that you could never take it back to the US.  Credit union loss?  Oh, I would imagine they lost around $10,000 on the vehicle.  After that episode....they changed their rules....they'd only finance US spec cars.  

Yes, I came fairly close to owning a BMW.  

No comments: