Saturday, April 1, 2023

The Age 80 Waiver?

 I sat last night watching a German news piece....talking over the law now in effect that by the 1st of 2024...you can't replace your old heating furnace in the house with a natural gas or oil system.  

Oddly enough....they wrote a waiver into the rules.  If you are over 80 year old in 2024, and a replacement is necessary, then yes, you can seek a natural gas/oil system.

Why 80?  No one explains this....other than saying they are 'special'.  

I contemplated the waiver (of course, I'm still 15 years away from the waiver).  

Why not make it 75 or 72?  

All of this....to force people to heat pumps?  Yes.

2 comments:

Wrench said...

Just 5 years ago my wife and I decided to build a new house near the village she was born. I researched which heating system for our new house was most beneficial. All systems had their pros and cons, but the best, I determined was natural gas. The new systems have a 97% efficiency rate. Which means the burn is so good, only 3% is wasted. The heat pump is supposed to be 100% efficient, however, coal is used to generate the power for the pump, below 5C degrees it will run at full power which can be upward to 9000 watts. At current electrical prices the decision was obvious, Natural Gas.

Schnitzel_Republic said...

I have two issues with the heat pump. First, electrical prices are going up, and I would imagine by 2030...it'll be between double and triple of what I pay currently. I'm also not that sure of power being there....because of the E-car discussion/mandate. Second, I live in a neighborhood area...five houses within 100 ft of our property. None use a heat pump currently. Noise level if all five were to go to the heat pump? Oh my wife would freak out, and she'd demand some radical move into rural areas where there are no homes within 200 meters of the house.