Saturday, May 10, 2014

Movie Review: The Sum of My Individual Parts

German translation: Die Summe meiner einzelnen Telle (2011)

I sat and watched the German movie last night, and I'll rate it into my top twenty German movies of all time.  That said....I'll also note that it's a fairly depressing end, and I felt somewhat betrayed by the conclusion.

To sum it up.....this brilliant and smart guy....Martin....has this breakdown.  He goes off and spends six months in a clinic.....cleaning up his act and they think he's ready for the outside.  That gets you through the first fifteen minutes of the movie and it's a fairly dramatic start of a tragic story.

Then, Martin comes back into the real world.....and starts to fall apart again.  The rest of the movie (roughly 100 minutes) really goes off into a psychological spiral.

I won't give away the ending, but it's safe to say that no one dies, and nothing good comes from the entire episode.  I will warn you on this.....something in this spiral is totally bogus, and you never notice that until the last fifteen minutes of the movie.

So, if you have some time and The Sum of My Individual Parts comes on.....it's worth watching, but don't get shocked when it really ends in a strange way.  

No comments: