I spent a week in Belgium...returning last night.....ten observations.
First, there's a ton of road renovations going on throughout Belgium. What was supposed to be a 5.5-hour return drive....turned into nearly 9 hours yesterday.
Second, I stayed in one single hotel...in Ghent. Ultra-ultra-quiet. Guest-house....1920s built...22 rooms. Next to a city park. Only negative I can say....from the 'free' parking spot (under shaded trees)...ton of bird-poop by Friday morning. I had to actually take the car over to car-wash....it was so bad.
Third, the wife and I did walking 'adventures' of Ghent, Bruges, and Brussels. I give a thumbs-up on Ghent and Bruges....both worth seeing....very safe. Brussels? Marginally worth seeing, and about every 20 minutes...there was a police siren passing by.
Fourth, food-wise....it reminded me of a Disney-operation....mostly American-style food.
Fifth....use of public transportation? I downloaded the Ghent App, and bought rides very easily. They seem to have figured out how to make the system work.
Sixth....'Beer-Central' is the best Ghent pub....300 beers offered either in a glass or bottle. Covered shade.
Seventh....only time to wander into a crime situation....in Bruges....siren came up and the wife/I walked past a up-scale tennis shoe shop. Private security had latched-onto two guys attempting a shop-lifting situation. Two cop cars pulled up....within 60 seconds....they had possession of the two and tossed them into the car. By the 3rd minute.....cars left. Amazingly fast apprehension.
Eighth...the only odd thing over the hotel pick.....the toilet seat was mounted about 12 inches higher than normal. I though originally....it might be a handicapped room.....but was corrected (normal room). If you ever tried to do 'it' while sitting with your legs in a awkward position....it marginally works.
Ninth. My description of Bruges and Ghent....if Walt Disney had been challenged to make cities instead of parks....this would be the result.
Tenth....arriving there Sunday evening of last week....odd development.....most all restaurants are closed. My choice was a local pizza shop.
No comments:
Post a Comment