Wednesday, March 22, 2023

The Happy Scale

 Someone created a data-set for countries and 'happiness'.  There's this ranking....which generally says the happiest people in the world are from Finland. Denmark follows in a close second.

I've been to both countries, and would agree....folks seem pretty happy.  Course, there is a high taxation rate, and both enjoy pretty low crime statistics. 

So around number 15 comes the US....followed by Germany at number 16.

New Zealand was actually rated number ten on this list....ahead of Germany and the US.  I've been there (for the record) and would vouch that most people seem content...crime is low...and it's hard to find stress in people's lives.

The fact that Germany comes behind the US on happiness?  I would be asking questions over the poll questions, and if a fair number of Germans were polled....coming from highly urbanized areas of Germany.  If you had selected mostly Germans from small villages across Bavaria or the Pfalz....I would suggest 99-percent of German residents would give ultra high numbers on their feeling of happiness.

Were these Americans questioned....mostly from Texas or Idaho?  That's another question I'd ask.  

Is the happiness ranking bogus?  If you asked me questions over Germany, and ranked my happiness feelings....some would be ultra-positive....some would be ultra-negative.  I'd also say that my Covid criticisms from 2020/2021 would affect some feelings.  I'd also have criticisms (for the record) over the US.  

The final thing I will leave you with...out of the top ten countries listed....eight of them were European.  And France didn't even make the top twenty (#21)....which just seems pretty weird, but French people are always critical of things.  

No comments: