Friday, December 20, 2019

The Problem With a 100-Euro Bill

This past week, I went to a ATM machine here in the Wiesbaden region, and out spilled my money (I usually get a couple of 50-Euro and a number of 20-Euro bills).  In this case, the machine was mostly out of the smaller bills, and what I got was five 20-Euro bills and two 100-Euro bills.

So on about ten efforts, I've tried to break the 100-Euro bills (a gas station, couple of coffee shops, one electronic shop, etc).  So far, I've had no luck. 

I'm to the point where I suspect that I'll have to buy something in the cost range of 80 to 90 Euro....to get some store-front to accept at least one single 100-Euro bill.   Maybe my fireworks purchase during the week after Christmas might hit that point and allow me to part with that stupid 100-Euro bill.

My wife brought up this problem last year....when the bank tumbled out three one-hundreds to her and virtually no one wanted to deal with the bills. 

Fear of counterfeiting?  Not really.....most all of these store-fronts now operate a 'checker' machine to ensure that it's not counterfeit.   They just don't want the large bills.  It's some type of German trend that you wouldn't have expected 30 years ago with the old 100-Deutsche Mark bills. 

I'm almost to the point of asking....why bother printing the money, if no one really wants to accept it? 

No comments: