Wednesday, January 10, 2024

German Requirement For A Auto First Aid Kit

 My wife (German in nature) and I got into a discussion this AM (it's always something).  Today, it was about the first aid kit in the two cars.

For those who might have been stationed here in Germany, you remember the deal.  Every two years, your car undergoes a serious inspection, and the first aid kit is checked (has to be a kit in the car).

For a number of years after it was forced....folks just bought a kit and never updated it. 

At some point, expiration dates got stamped onto the kits.  Then they started to change what had to be in the kit.  So you need to usually buy a new kit every two to three years.

Our discussion went to the other side of this.....is there any usefulness to having a first aid kit in the car.

At some point  around 1994....I bought a pretty old model Mercedes and had to update the first aid kit.  I pulled out the old kit and emptied the contents on my Air Force desk.  Several of my co-workers stood and looked at the usefulness of the kit....mostly suggesting that it was marginal at 'saving' someone.  There's some gauze and coverings....mostly from what I'd figure is for minor cuts.   

Cost of a replacement kit?  Usually running from 10.99 Euro to 16 Euro.   

My wife gave me the job of finding new and cheapo first aid kits for the cars....since both have to be inspected this summer. 

No comments: