My German wife and I had a soccer chat last night (it's rare....maybe twice every decade)....so the topic was if FIFA follows through....enlarging the World Cup to 64 teams.
My wife took the position...it's CRAZY-CRAZY.
I asked how many games would be involved, and she did the analysis in 60 seconds....suggesting there would be 16 'groups', and a total of 128 total games.
I added my thoughts....that six weeks were not enough...it'd have to be 8 weeks (two full months). Also....to be honest....adding Iceland, Mongolia, and Thailand....doesn't really thrill me.
Based on readings yesterday....FIFA believes they made in the range of $8-Billion off the US-Canada-Mexico series.
If you added the 64 team scenario into it....profit-wise? I'd guess the numbers go close to $15-billion.
Players accepting this? I'm not that sure.
Would I watch 30-plus games over two months? That's the question that I come to. With all the crappy ref action....I lost 50-percent interest by the 3rd week of this spell.
No comments:
Post a Comment