Saturday, September 19, 2026

19 Sep 2026: Germany: 7 Stories

 1.  This EU-Canada 'associate' chatter?  Number of journalists came up and asked questions.  

What you can now say....factually....the EU does not have a official status as 'associate-member'.  They talked about it for Ukraine about a year ago, but that talk went nowhere.  They have not approached a single EU country to officially 'bless' such a status.  

So all that Thursday night chatter on Germany's ZDF (public TV) news?  BS?  Mostly the EU bluffing the story.  

There already being a trade status between the two?  Yeah....for eight-plus years, so that's nothing new.

It is kinda funny....they got hype for roughly 24 hours, and the hype sorta died-out.

2.  Deal done....US has protection status over Greenland.  No chance that China or Russia establishes a presence there.  

Danes fairly shocked (by my opinion)....no one ever thought they were at risk of anything (invasion or such).  Somehow....Trump in some crazy way....got a 'deal' (at zero cost).  

3.  Gas relief?  Merz got a 'deal'....the energy tax on gas/diesel is to be reduced by 14 cents per liter. If you include the VAT, this results in a tax reduction of 17 cents per liter.  

Enough?  As you imagine pricing right now?   Yes.  If the pricing goes up another 30-odd cents?  They'd have to revisit this situation....with more relief.

Starts 1 October, and ends at end of December.

Merz coalition also worked up.... a fuel price cap with the fuel industry. Some details left to square it away.  Starts 1 Jan 2027....at latest. 

Opposition?  Curiously, the Greens and Linke Party call the plan 'madness'....saying the oil companies are raking in profits. 

4.  Berlin police did a raid on a employee of the AfD Party's candidate in the city election (coming up shortly).  The police thought they had a illegal weapon.  Well....they were wrong.  But what they found were drugs (never telling what type) and Nazi-history crap (also avoiding details).

On the Nazi-era collectables....generally...most stuff like books, uniforms, and such...are legal to buy.  You can walk into flea-markets today and likely find items for sale.  The problem is....you have fake crap (made forty years after the war....sold as legit stuff).  Whether the police have legit 1930s/1940s stuff, or counterfeit stuff....unknown.  On the drugs....cocaine and forty-odd drugs would be illegal....weed/marijuana would be legal.  

5.  Focus article....Denmark study done on university graduates....growing number are unable to find a job after graduation.

6.  Oktoberfest starts today....24 C (mild temp)....blue sky.  

7.  Three weeks ago....I got blitz-camera 'caught' (speeding ticket on the autobahn)....in the state of the Pfalz (not Hessen).  The car tag is registered to the wife.....the pic is me.  I don't argue....I was 18 kph over the limit (100).

Well.....the Pfalz sends the letter a week ago.  Normally...in Hessen....as long as you aren't over 30 kph (over the limit)....you just get a letter to pay the ticket.

The Pfalz sent this letter to the wife....to ask if she wants to deny the ticket.  She obviously said yeah....that was the husband (me).  She has to do this on-line....into some database.  So they asked around ten questions in the database.  She inputs all my personal data.

Six days pass, and yesterday....I get a letter from the Pfalz police....do I want to deny the violation?  Oddly, they don't put the violation cost (I figure around 65 Euro), or where to send the money.  Instead, they want me to admit what I've done...before we talk money. 

I asked the wife what happens if I do nothing....I got a 12-minute lecture on 'doing-the-right-thing'.  

No comments: