So the story goes....apparently from some Pentagon source, that Sec/War tasked EUCOM/Pentagon to study the idea of downsizing 25,000 troops (minimum), and reflecting a new future.
What you should take from this?
First, several rumors in the past week....Poland asking for a US base. This may fit into the agenda, with either Lakenheath or Spang fighters....moving with some US Army folk to some joint-base in Poland.
I'm also likely to believe that headquarters staffs at EUCOM, Ramstein and Wiesbaden.....probably will downsize, and re-locate.
I'm less likely to believe that US Navy gives up it's bases in this plan.
Where this leads onto? The SECWAR expects some report (menu-type) in November and the President approves this in January. House/Senate will have some say.
Big deal? This is what should have been done in the mid-1990s. The negative I can see....if Wiesbaden's installation shuts down....that's the end of commissary/BX privileges/use.
No comments:
Post a Comment