Sunday, March 12, 2023

End-of-Humanity Week?

If you went looking this week for this Greta Thunberg 2018 quote on Twitter....you won't find it.  It no longer exists.  

If you remember the wording....it says by the end of 2023, humanity would be wiped out.  

I checked outside my Rhein Valley home this AM....far as I can tell....humanity still exists.  I had a cup of coffee, and a jelly roll....mostly in celebration.  I'll have a 'diet-steak' tonight (my wife still controls my diet) in celebration of humanity surviving.

The one clear thing I'll say for the climate crowd....once you make this 'doomsday' chatter or 'end-of-times' talk....you get into a cult-like state of mind.  

You say stupid things, and you lose more of your audience as the months and years pass.  If you picked just one single thing to focus upon and avoided the doomsday business....you might actually have some success in 'change'.  Yet this is not the philosophy that people feel comfortable with.  

As much as I hate to suggest it....it's become like a reality TV show.  

Final note:  I do have some booze and party stuff in storage...if this 'end-of-times' does pop up by 31 December.  I'm not discounting by 100-percent....just 99-percent. 

4 comments:

Daz said...

Not what it says. Take a moment to read it again. It's also in quotations, so it's representative of someone else's thoughts/opinions.

Schnitzel_Republic said...

But it's a belief shared-out, and people want to believe in it (seems like cult-chatter). And this all gets shared around among 12-to-15 year old kids...as believable realities, when it's designed as propaganda.

Oddly, you don't have this going on in Russia.

Daz said...

Not sure when you were last in Russia, but it's not exactly all freedom and science.

I'm curious though, and no-one seems able to answer this without resorting to ad hominem - What has Greta said that is actually wrong? I'm yet to hear a clear answer that doesn't just make a bunch of inferences or quote sources that aren't actually quoting her but people talking about her. It's like everyone's just made up their mind that they either do or don't like her, and no- one is interested in the facts.

Schnitzel_Republic said...

Based on education level when words were spoken...I suspect the parents wrote and 'directed' Greta on 90-percent of what was said.

My general problem with any of the climate lecture people...they all go to 'you must react now' and insist on massive funding to accomplish X, Y and Z of their choosing.

If there is a trigger to this (I can lean toward the general problem)...I'm not convinced of a pound-for-pound solution that fits into this 'fix'. I'm also convinced that with almost every decade now....we are making massive science advancements. It's like talking about nuke safety with the 1960s background, and discussing nuke safety in 2023 with all the changes that have occurred.

Those two Last Generation folks from Stuttgart who got arrested and were supposed to show up in court last month....but were not there...because they went off on a vacation to Thailand....dissolved what little belief I had with their determination. Selling their 'brand' is a lost cause at present.

On the final note...I think a fair number of people see the teenage lecture business as a 'joke' and would rather have a actual physicist or a weather PhD type carry the dialog and discussion. The minute you bring up fixes....I'd like to see an economist talk about actual cost and value of whats done. Lets not waste a trillon Euro to find a decade later....nothing was gained.