Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Recruitment Issues

 I sat and watched a N-TV segment this AM....on the problems of recruiting for the German army.

So they bring up these two essential problems for young Germans who enter the service.  

First, they arrive at 'boot-camp' and generally expect to have Wi-Fi.  I sat there for a moment....contemplating this.  In 1977, I remember arriving at Air Force boot-camp and literally everything of a personal nature was taken away on day two.  You were issued the essentials and for six weeks....you survived.  

Other than a letter or postcard.....there was no TV, and no news.  

These German recruits?  They expect Wi-fi because they are bringing their smartphones and want the latest in 'news'.

Are the barracks hooked up for Wi-fi?  Presently....it's hit and miss.  

The second issue?  The Inspector General admits that the open-showers have a serious problem with mold.  

From what I remember of the American barracks....this was never an issue but you used a serious amount of chemical cleaner and there was a daily task to keep it clean.  I'm just pondering if there's no real effort to keep them clean in this case.

Yeah, there might be a recruitment problem here, but I'm wondering just how far you might have to lean.....to make a German 18-year old 'happy'.  


2 comments:

PROCON said...

Back when I was stationed in Germany in the 1970's, I thought all German men HAD to do 2 years in the Army when they turned 19. Do I mis-remember? Or is mandatory 2 year service been eliminated?

Schnitzel_Republic said...

Draft ended around a dozen years ago.