Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Minimalism Chatter

 Germans tend to 'worry' or criticize upon things....that a lot of people wouldn't ever think about.

Last year, I sat and watched a news documentary piece which talked to a commonly perceived problem....Germans having too much.  They refer to people who have thirty t-shirts in their closet, and only twelve of them worn once or twice a month.  Or they talk about the forty skirts in the closet....which two are only worn once a year. 

The trend?  It's usually called minimalism.  N-TV did a short update yesterday....talking about the trend.  They went back a hundred years ago (1920) and suggest that most people had a 180 pieces of personal property (meaning clothing, knives, pairs of socks, shoes, etc).  Today, it's figured that people now have around 10,000 items of personal property.

I sat and thought about the numbers....if you counted up screw-drivers, hammers, software packages, stuff I've collected over sixty years.....yeah, I've probably got 10,000-plus items in my possession. 

Just in the car trunk itself, there's probably sixteen items, for emergency situations. 

Book-wise, I have a collection of 200 books. 

Shoes and boots?  I have probably near twelve pair of shoes and three pair of boots.  Yes, I still have a 20-year old pair of military combat boots that I've never parted with.  I have a pair of extreme heavy-duty winter boots that I was issued via the Air Force in 1995, and sits in the basement.....never worn.  We just haven't had that kind of winter....ever.  

In the flashlight corner, I probably have seven different types of flashlights....some of them used at best once a year, for particular problems...when you crawl into a tunnel-like area.

Am I bothered by the German perception of minimalism?  No.  Their chief aim?  They like to convince a whole society of downsizing by seventy-five percent and cease all the evil stuff of spending money on crazy capitalism stuff.  I just don't see people buying off on this fantasy.  



1 comment:

bob searcy said...

i live alone ( 62 ) in a cool little home that i built . i have one fork and one spoon . strangely , ive never really needed additional ones .