Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Crazy German Thing

I occasionally drive my wife to work....a 35-minute effort through Wiesbaden, across the Rhine River, and over to mid-town Mainz.

If my timing works perfect (maybe once every three weeks)....I have to reach mid-town Mainz and a particular red-light where I stop and wait for the green light and allow people to cross from the left side of the street to the right side of the street.  And on that occasion.....there will be this German kid, probably around 15 years old, who walks across in front of me.

The odd thing.....no matter if it's spring, summer, fall or winter (I've been doing it for twelve months now).....the kid is barefoot.

Yeah....he's barefoot every single time.

When I first noticed this back in February.....I questioned my wife (a German) who simply responded that she'd have dragged that kid back into the house and forced shoes upon him.

I'm guessing that once he gets to school.....he probably puts on sandals or some kind of shoe.....to make the teachers happy.

I'd like to stop the kid one day, and do a five-minute interview of his act and how this all started.....but obviously, we never seem to get this timing thing right.  He's a Mainzer (at least I assume this), and they are a bit different from Hessens (at least my wife says this).

No comments: