Friday, July 5, 2019

A Tattoo Story

I don't usually have any issues with folks going out, and getting various tattoos....for their various reasons. 

That US Army wife I noted at the Ramstein commissary from a decade ago....who had some cartoon on her back of a lady in some lusty 'play'?  Well....it probably should have been a bit covered up while walking around the commissary. 

That $2,000 that some junior airman (that I worked with) spent on some series of tattoos to explain her 'path' in life?  I just kinda overlooked that as well. 

Today, I was on a bus returning to Wiesbaden....riding in the back on a 'perched' position.  We stopped and this young German gal got onboard....standing no more than eight feet from me.  "Emily Fxxxx".  I know her name because she had entire first and last name tattooed onto the front part of her neck.  Yes, all in script fashion, and easily readable. 

She sat down in front of me, and then I could notice the various tattooed words on each finger.

Maybe 18 years old.

She unfolded some sheet from the Arbeitsamt (the jobs office). 

I sat there and tried to imagine how a job situation or coffee shop would handle this.  Me?  Sorry, I probably wouldn't have hired her.  You'd just have customers staring and asking stupid questions.  She might even be the type that has a full facial tattoo done one day and you get week after week of surprises. 

Maybe it's a plea for attention or just some crazy idea that popped into her head.  How would the tattoo appear in ten to fifteen years?  If she gained weight.....would you even be able to read the Emily portion? 

With the noticeable piece on the fingers, and some apparent tattoo on her back....it probably adds up to at least 2k Euro of work.by some artist.  I just sat there and felt some relief this wasn't my kid. 

No comments: