Sunday, March 5, 2017

A Non-Robitussin Day

This week, after walking around with a fairly bad cough....I decided to go to the remedy situation.  Normally, I'd go and gulp down Robitussin XL.  My medicine chest here was empty of the stuff.

So I went downtown Wiesbaden to a local pharmacy....and simply looked for the Robitussin.  The three German ladies were behind the counter and since I was the only customer in the place....they were quick to focus in on me.

I stated my problem.  A serious cough.  I wanted Robitussin suppressant.  The one gal keyed in on this rather quickly.  Then I got the two-minute lecture that my German wife would give....if I was giving out mucus when I coughed....then Robitussin or any substitute was NOT what I needed.

Germans tend to get direct to the topic of health situations rather quickly.  I'm not sure if it's the amount of public-TV that they watch or all these hyped up health talk in the news....but they often want to lecture you.

Me?  I know what I need for this particular ailment.....just plain Robitussin.  XL-stuff would be nice but just regular Robitussin would help.  After years of experimenting....I know the cure.  At one point around 1999....Wal-Mart had some suped-up version of cough syrup that did a magnificent job on coughs.  Then one day....it just kinda disappeared.  I think the government discovered it was bad for you while it was good for you.

So, what did I end up with?  Some weak Alka-Seltzer-like gimmick.  The German ladies felt happy in helping the poor American but I basically got something with worthless value.

Next time?  I'll go to the BX and stock-pile five or six bottle of Robitussin in some cabinet.

No comments: