Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Talking Water

So this is a business-profit-water story. 

My favorite bottled water (for almost 25 years now) is the French brand Evian. 

For a number of years, it came in three sizes....the big 1.5 liter (my preferred size), the .75 liter, and the .5 liter which was the better choice for walking around on hikes with. 

About two years ago in Germany....they decided that Evian was no longer just a regular water....it was now (in Germany) a premium water.  This meant that you (the customer) needed to pay more.

Along with this strategy.....they dumped the 1.5 liter size, and went to a 1.25 liter bottle....which oddly enough was a higher grade of plastic.  Then....yep, they raised the price approximately 30-percent.  Less water....more cost. 

I sat there two years ago shaking my head.  It's a good water, and my more preferred choice.  But I'm paying around 30-percent more for less water. 

So last month, I crossed the border into France.  I shopped at a grocery, and here were the old 1.5 liter bottles, in the cheaper plastic....at the regular and cheaper price.  Naturally, I bought enough bottled water for six months. 

So in one country, it's just plain regular 'glacier' water.  And in Germany, it's premium 'glacier' water, at a hefty price. 

1 comment:

Daz said...

You do realise what it spells backwards, right?