Thursday, July 5, 2018

End of Daylight Savings Time?

There was a six-line piece I read today, coming out of the EU.

Basically, they said that there's an open period for regular people to say something positive or negative about their view of daylight savings time....until the end of August. Then there will a study conducted, and a EU discussion to end daylight savings time in February of 2019. 

The odds of passing?  Unknown.

My wife is heavily in favor of dumping it, and I suspect that two-thirds of Germany are negative about it, and the rest....simply neutral.  I doubt if you can find more than 5-percent who have a favorable view of it.

2 comments:

josep-n said...

Even a broken clock is right twice a day (no pun intended).
There are a lot of things I disagree with the EU on (this being one of them), but the abolition of daylight savings time is something I would readily approve. If Russia and Japan can live without it, what's stopping America from doing the same?

P.S. Regarding your reasoning for closing the comments for the 2010 article ("I just never thought much over commentary (95-percent of what I essay about is read but not commented upon)."), I'm assuming that that's why the commentary from Tristan, LocoMan, Lonely and some Anonymous user was not addressed. Is this correct?
My first impression last week was that you closed the comments section as a response to two of my comments (here and here). Is this also correct?

P.P.S. Is there a way I can contact you without using the comments section? Thanks again.

josep-n said...

P.P.S. I live in Washington state (UTC-8). Speaking of time, I noticed that every comment I post has the timestamp set three hours ahead of the time where I live (e.g. if I post a comment at, say, 1:05 PM, the blog says it's 4:05 PM.) This made me think you were living somewhere in UTC-5. However, some of your articles were posted at times when the average Joe living in UTC-5 would normally be asleep (e.g. 1:31 AM in Washington = 4:31 AM in the US East Coast = 10:31 AM in Germany), so I'm wondering if you could adjust your blog's settings so as to reflect the correct time zone you're living in. Thanks.