Saturday, February 1, 2020

Chargers and the EU

In my German house, I can probably count at least twenty items now.....which require a charger (cellphones, tabs, cameras, etc).  So here's the funny thing, there are roughly five different sizes of the 'plug' which you'd use to charge the twenty items. 

I once made a two-week trip, with one of these items in my possession, but I'd grabbed the wrong charger, and had to buy a replacement plug there on the second day of the trip.

So I noticed today via ZDF (Channel Two, German public TV) that the EU is getting involved in this.

They are having a vote, to summon the council to institute one single charger size for all future items.  The odds that this will pass?  I'll take a guess that it's a 100-percent chance.

As for what happens?  Well.....the big guys like Apple and Sony can probably play into this and just offer a EU plug in the box that you buy.....charging you an extra Euro or two for the attachment.  The smaller folks will do the same thing, but have to charge in the range of five Euro.

Logically, something should have happened back a decade ago.....I will agree to that.

But here's the thing.....do you really need the EU to order companies to comply and play along?  In the past, you relied upon companies to wise up....improve their product, and things would just naturally progress. 

My humble guess is that in the end.....as we buy new products under the EU fix-it-situation, there will be this attachment to the charger, and six months into ownership....we will lose the attachment, and have to go and spend ten Euro to buy another. 

No comments: