Friday, May 13, 2022

Yeah, About That Speed Limit Talk

 The sixteen state environmental ministers met today, and among the topics discussed.....the speed limit on autobahns came up again.

So, they believe that a temp-speed limit ought to occur (130 kilometers per hour on autobahns).

Any movement yet by the federal government?  No.....other than talks.

Speculation?  I'd give it a 80-percent chance that some speed limit deal will occur by late summer. It'll likely be a one-year situation.  

Public acceptance?  Well.....I think most Germans already drive 100 to 130 kph on the autobahns (say over two-thirds of people).

Me personally?  If I'm on a open and very uncrowded autobahn.....I will usually go 130 to 160 kph.  But I'll admit within the 30 kilometer range of Frankfurt....there's just no uncrowded autobahns to fit that profile.

What happens in 12 months?  I personally think the temp deal, will extend to another one-year period.  

At the end of that period.....it'll be permanent (my humble feeling).  Probably 20-percent of Germans will grumble about this and try some legal ways to challenge the stance.  

No comments: