Thursday, June 1, 2023

Audit Story

 Last week in my local town (Wiesbaden)....the cops held a safety review week.  This meant pulling over x-number of cars and conducting safety audits.

What they will say....over this one-week period....214 vehicles were reviewed for safety conditions.  Oddly enough....229 'defects' were noted.  

Yeah, it was a high number.

But here is the curious thing....from four vehicle inspections alone....the number amounted to 89 defects/violations.

Yeah, that's extremely high.  How they were rated?  Unknown.  

Back in 1978 at Rhein Main Air Base (next to Frankfurt)...I worked with a guy who'd acquired a 'junker' (tagged to operate).  Somehow it'd passed an inspection.  Approaching it the first time, I began to note the various problems (rust, shocks were failing, one headlight was taped-up to 'hang' off the front).  I'm not an inspector, but I came to note a dozen defects real quick....also noting the floor area on the passenger side had two baseball size holes existing.  

A normal thing with defects?  I'd say with most German cars over twelve years of age....you probably are always on the borderline of one to two defects (usually tires). If the car is over twenty years old....I'd guarantee one defect always existing.  This is what drives the every two-year inspection, and why it's so critical.  

No comments: