Saturday, June 10, 2023

My Favorite Coffee Shop/Pub: Gone

 I was in Wiesbaden yesterday, and walked by the only place in town that I considered a five-star coffee shop.  'Perfect Day' had been in operation for 20 years.  

They suffered greatly when the Covid era came....going through a 'quit' notice in early 2022, then reversed out two months later when the city lifted some 'rules'.  

Over the past year?  If you walked up to the 2nd floor where there would be thirty-odd people sitting and in discussion (2019-era)....there might be a dozen sitting there.  Normal business....never came back.  

If I were guessing, I'd say they reached the 75-to-80 percent point of what they had prior to Covid.  

Sign was up on the door....big long 60 'message' to explain how proud they were of the business, and this was a sad thing to go away.

A block away....my favorite pub was there but the guy noted that his lease comes to an end on 1 August, and he would also call it quits.  He'd also been there for roughly 20 years.

Covid to blame?  More or less.  

I would imagine in the heart of the city....there's a minimum of twenty additional places which lost a lot of customers and cash-flow....so bad....that they aren't that thrilled to continue on.  Before the end of 2023, they are set to move on.  

The old Pizza Hut corner spot in Wiesbaden?  Still empty (3 years now since any business was there in the structure).  I can point out around 20 business fronts which are currently empty and not engaged in commerce.  

No comments: