Thursday, June 1, 2023

My Drag Queen Show Story

 At some point in the early 1980s....I was assigned to Ramstein Air Base.  At this point in time, they'd approved slot machines, and the local NCO club was making a ton of profit.  They were ploughing the profit into live bands and shows....which led to more profit.  It's safe to say that cash flow was at a all-time record.

One evening I walked in (probably a Friday), and I walked into the ballroom area.  I walked up to the bar and ordered a whiskey sour (my preferred cocktail).  

I turned and they were preparing the stage for some show....so I lingered.  

The room was big enough for 250 people, and I'd say there were a max of fifty people there.  I questioned the low number.

About ten minutes would pass, and the show opened up.  It was a lady impersonator/drag queen episode.  Two German guys.  

I sat at the bar and for a full-hour....I watched the act.  It was nothing strip tease relatable or sexual.....just two guys impersonating women.  It was about 50-percent comedy and 50-percent singing (badly for guys).

Someone came up to the bar where I was sitting and asked how the base approved the act, and the response was....it was the club manager, and it was a last-minute fill-in situation (no advertising).  

Act ended....I ordered a second whiskey sour, and the two guys in drag exited to a minor bit of applause.  The one obvious thing you noticed....out of the fifty-odd people at tables....forty of them were women.

The funny thing is that no one on base brought up the topic (1984), and frankly....on entertainment value (1-to-10), I'd rate the two guy show as a '3' at best.  

In the decade after the 'cash-years'....a number of folks forced the Ramstein club to shuffle it's profits around.....live-bands came to be a rare thing, and the 'cash-cow' eventually dried-up.  

No comments: