Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Trip Chatter

 I had to make a trip over to the Army post today (Wiesbaden) and stop at my mail box.  Oddly enough....the info stand had this advertisement there.

Back in 1984, I did the bus trip to Lloret de Mar, Spain for a week....price then?  Around $160 for seven days.  Price today?  For 3 days....349 Euro (roughly $375, for half the time).  

On my miserabiilty index?

This was the trip that you boarded the bus at midnight, and stopped twice over fourteen hours for driver 'breaks'.  

At least a dozen of the folks were fairly drunk as they boarded, and the toilet on the bus had a funny smell by 6 AM.

The hotel?  It was a marginal two-star place....with the room about 3 meters by 4 meters....big enough for a bed, a chair, and a locker.  

Breakfast consisted of a cup of coffee and two pieces of bread with jelly.  

It was excessively hot in the afternoons.  The window looked out across the street to another hotel....about two meters away to what appeared to be an older Brit couple who seemed to drink excessively from noon on each day.    

On one afternoon, the trip people took me via a bus with others over to Barcelona to a bull-fight....which I got lost from the group as the episode ended, and wasted four hours trying to find some train connection back to the resort town.  

At the end of the week, I rated it as one of the worst experiences of my life (still today....it's one of the worst three).  

No comments: