Saturday, October 26, 2019

The Brochure

I'm a German Bahn card holder (getting 50-percent off on trips beyond my local town). 

So today, I got this brochure in the mail.  They wanted me to feel some guilt and do my part for the climate crisis.

So it's listed....what it takes in terms of C02 for a trip from Frankfurt to Hamburg. 

In simple terms, they tell me that I really shouldn't fly or drive a SUV up to Hamburg....that without any guilt, I can make the trip via the German railway system.

A normal trip?  The flight is 65 minutes, with a 75-odd minute security walk.  You can figure at least 40 minutes upon landing to do the exit walk and pick up a bag.  Total cost, for a R/T is 100 Euro (via Lufthansa).  Note, this is the off-season.

The railway trip?  Four hours, if nothing goes wrong, and no delays occur.  Cost? For me and the discount card....around 35 Euro for 2nd class seats and another 5 Euro for reserving the seat......one-way. 

If I were driving?  It's a 5 hour and 19 minute trip under ideal conditions.  Toss weather, construction work, and accidents along the way, with a 30-minute pause in the middle?  It's near 7.5 hours....more or less. 

Given a choice, I'd drive in most cases. 

But what I find interesting is the graphic in the brochure, and the attempt to make you feel guilty over C02 usage.  Is it correct?  What they will say is that they use safe energy and there's no C02 in the transport side of this 'game'.  The massive amount of C02 used to build the train, the tracks, and keep it operational?  Yeah, that element is missing. 

Will this work with Germans?  Some Germans will profess that they feel guilt.  The majority of the other Germans will tell you that they fell no guilt.  If you wanted to categorize this group of no-guilt Germans...they are the working-class without the higher university 'anchor'.  They don't watch public TV news much, and they have other worries or woes on their mind. 

In the end, this is about selling you something....that either you want to buy, or simply discard in the garbage. 

No comments: