Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Encounter Story

 Last night, the wife and I were at the regional German grocery store (I'll leave the name out).  I wandered off in the store, and the wife ended up in some aisle where a homeless guy approached.....asking/begging for money.  She declined, and departed the corner of the store quickly.

If you were gaging the homeless population of Wiesbaden...it's probably tripled in the past three years compared to what it was in the 1990s. 

In the walk-platz (center of town where all the big shops are located).....there's probably forty of these folks camped out on the streets and wandering around to beg off people. 

The encounter in the grocery?  First time that I've seen that.

Trying to guess the city population now for this crowd?  Between the druggies, the nutcases, and the unfortunate.....probably in the range of 250 folks now. 

My gut feeling where this is going to lead?  I have a number of choices over grocery-shopping and I don't have to shop in Wiesbaden itself....I can venture to small towns around Wiesbaden, and avoid the encounters....if I desire.  It's stupid to have this discussion, but you don't need to have these odd encounters in the middle of grocery trip.  

No comments: