Saturday, February 13, 2021

Vote Mail Today

 Today's mail delivery was kind of interesting.

I got an envelop from the city (Wiesbaden) letting me know that the foreigner council for the city is having an election, and I can vote for one of the option 'parties' to have my representation:

1.  Democratic Alternative List DAL 

2.  Kurdish List KL 

3.  Syrian Democratic List SDL 

4.  Alliance for Integration and Equal Opportunities BIC 

5.  Wiesbaden's Intercultural Women List WiF 

6.  List MigraMundi eV LMM 

7.  Friends of Democracy and Freedom FDF

8.  Multicultural List ML 

9.  Iranian and Afghan List IAL 

10.  Assyrian Union Wiesbaden AUW 

11.  Progressive Foreigners Union PAU 

12.  Wiesbaden Akademisyenler Birligi WAB

As a visa-holder, it's a odd deal.....this 'council' is supposed to represent foreigners in the city (all visa-holders).  How many of us in the city?  That's an unknown figure and never openly discussed.  If you asked me....it's probably in the 7k to 10k range (just a humble belief).

Will I vote?  No.  I don't see the council having that much effect except for monthly meetings and knowing the mayor on a first-name basis.  It does build up prestige within various groups (like the Afghan groups, Syrian groups, or the Iranian groups).  That might have some value in twenty-odd years.

No comments: