Tuesday, September 22, 2026

My Humble Thoughts On Merz's Exit

 There's no real comparison (historically) to compare against the current woes....so it's hit and miss.

There are five state elections that currently worry the CDU Party (Merz's crew): 18 Apr (Schleswig-Holstein, and the Saarland),  25 Apr (Nordrhein-Westfalen), 30 May (Bremen), and 26 Sep (Niedersachsen). 

If you drew up a list of the top forty CDU members after Merz....I'd suggest virtually all of them are worried about the numbers/polling for these five state elections.

They also are worried that switching out the Chancellor situation....and gaining no momentum.....just makes matters worse. 

For the most part, I see only two guys who can fill the shoes....NRW's Premier President....Wust, and Bavaria's Premier President....Soder.  That's it.

A gain in some way?  As long as they are handcuffed to the coalition-partner (the SPD)....there's no gain (my humble belief).

Dumping everything and asking for a new national election before you get to the 18th of April 2027?  It's a crazy idea, but it's probably worth thinking about.

 Was Merz over-sold?  He was supposed to be a economic-builder and smart guy on industry.  But that image never 'arrived'.

If Merz sticks it out....through all of 2027?  Of the five elections, I'd go and suggest that one out of three normal CDU voters....probably will find some alternate party to vote for in 2027.

2 comments:

mnewman7 said...

Do you have an analysis of why the drowning CDU doesn't take the rope of AfD.

Schnitzel_Republic said...

That's something on my mind for almost a year. I'll write essay/blog for tomorrow over this issue.