Friday, April 16, 2021

The 'Warning' Story

 With Covid business confining me to a great extent (day 12)....I sat down yesterday to view Disney-Plus, and decided to watch one of my all-time classic favorites....Swiss Family Robinson, the 1960-version with John Mills.

As a kid, I read the novel around age ten and thought it was a fascinating story.  The 1960 version of the novel?  It holds fairly true....via the script and the characters.  

So as I clicked on the movie....this 'warning-page' came up.  In simple terms, they wanted to warn me that the book and the movie were made in a time when racism was deemed 'approved' in some fashion, and I should not hold it against the Disney folks for this production. 

I hit the halt-button and paused over this 'warning'.

It's a childish and juvenile-like silly game that is being played out.  I'm guessing if you did run a school library these days....this is probably on some shelf that requires the librarian to indoctrinate you first before you get all 'triggered'.

Uncle Tom's Cabin?  Tom Sawyer?  Hunchback of Notre Dame?  The Three Musketeers? Candide?  Cannery Row?  

It'd have to be a full-time person orientating kids at the library.....warning them about this, and that.  

The only safe books to read?  Harry Potter, Stephen King novels, and sex-romp-adventures in Barbados.  

After that ten-minute 'burn'.....I hit the button and began to watch the movie.  By the end....it's what you'd consider an old-fashion Disney classic....staying near the original book, and decent acting.  Signs of anything that would 'trigger' me?  No.  

No comments: