Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Fest Chatter

 I sat looking at regional news this afternoon....odd story.

Out of the town of Giessen....there was supposed to be a Eritrea Festival to occur.  I don't know the number of Eritreans in the Frankfurt/Darmstadt/Giessen region....but I'd guess its in the 2k to 3k range.  If you were talking nationally, back in 2020....it was around 75,000 and I would imagine at least 20,000 have arrived since that point.  

Somewhere after the announcement came....the city of Giessen came to realize that security is a matter.  So the festival became a 'problem'.

So today, the city banned the festival.....mostly over the amount of security that would be required (I would assume cost is also a factor).

Being challenged in court?  Yeah, and there are hints that privately....without city support....the fest will continue.  The police are preparing in some way for a 'problem'.

No-weapons zone being set up?  Yeah.

The original date of the fest?  Well....this weekend.

A violent mess?  You can't tell.  

Being affected by the French riots?  This is what is not openly discussed, but I would imagine some city authorities worry over the timing.  

No comments: