Thursday, July 13, 2023

Social Media BS

I was a bit skeptical while reviewing this 'Der Standard' story in the AM today.

Basically, it's a suggestion that popped up in the EU  (I'm surprised Germany itself did suggest it).

The idea is.....the minute you have a riot or any kind of social 'mess'.....you'd turn to X-director for the EU...some 'commissioner'....then he'd turn to Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Tiktok, etc.....telling them to cut things off for say 24 hours.  

I pondered over this.  Having been in Panama when the unrest occurred in the 1980s....I know how social unrest and riots go.

First, I'd ask how long you'd shut down things?  24 hours?  48 hours?  72 hours?

Would you do it for purely one country....like the riots started in Amsterdam....would the cut-off only affect them, or would you drag in all the EU for their one mess?

Then, I'd ask once the matter is over and you turned the system 'back on'....what if all the video of the events then gets seen by the public a week later?  What if you started having massive public anger about the lack of information?

Finally, I come to this one odd thing....once you shut down the social media folks....the only thing providing public information....is the public/commercial news folks.  Would the public trust the story that they tell?  I'm not convinced of that. 

If you'd had social media on 9 November 1938....for Kristallnacht?  With this rule....you would have shut down social media entirely for about a week.  Would people today....believe a modern day Kristallnacht....with only public TV news?  I doubt it.

The other end of this?  I think people from the past month in France are shaking their heads because social media just inflamed public sentiment.  

The easiest fix to this mess?  I'd just rig the internet to speed to drop by 90-percent....so a 30-second video would take you five minutes to download.  After watching one or two videos at a massively slow speed....folks would go back dating Apps, or video-gaming.   

No comments: