Tuesday, January 24, 2023

One of My Hundred Odd Interests: Göbekli Tepe

 I probably spend thirty man-hours a year, reviewing podcasts and reports on the Turkish site....Göbekli Tepe.  It intrigues me on purpose, the archelogy explanations, and the reason why it was covered over (buried).

So I've come to this theory of the necessity of burying it.  

Usually in history, when crap happens and societies disintegrate.....they burn down buildings, rip statues apart, and destroy civilization.  In this case.....none of that happened.  Some folks (probably at least a hundred) took to covering a monument-type site.  

From the hundreds of questions asked....why bury it....often comes up.

Around thirteen-thousand years ago....something happened, and probably around a thousand years pass....where some stonemason folks go to building the site.  

My theory, this was supposed to be a educational or religious type site....to remember a great disaster that occurred.  For years and years, it served that purpose.  Then one day.....a new disaster came and folks got the idea that the old disaster was not worth remembering.....they went to the new disaster theme.  

Rather than tear this site apart....the locals simply buried it.  They probably figured that one day....interest would return.   

4 comments:

Daz said...

Have you read Graeme Hancock's take on it? I think you might find it interesting. New information arrives all the time that seems to prove his conjectures.

Schnitzel_Republic said...

About every six months....there's another chapter to the site. My general interest is what happened to trigger it to be covered-up with dirt, and not destroyed (the typical event you'd see in Greece or Rome). Something triggered the locals to hide the spot, and forget whatever they were doing for an extended period.

I have the same issue with the Pyramid business, and the mathematical numbers hidden into the dimensions. Someone was standing there with PhD-level math skills, and then he turns to some master-stone craftsman who probably has the talents of best that exist on Earth today. You had two unique talents at work, and how they met up is what I find curious. (Hoping in 2025, to make a trip there and see things up close)

I've seen the Hancock series on Netflix, and generally agree with most of his picks/explanations. I think the chatter over advanced cultures is something that people put in the wrong context.

Daz said...

I didn't realise he had a series. I've just read his books and heard him in a couple of podcasts and TED talks. I'll have to check it out.

Schnitzel_Republic said...

Over on Netflix....I think 6 of them....around 45 min long each. The first one is an Asian site, and I've not seen it mentioned a lot before. The one on the American Indian site is the weakest of the episodes.