Saturday, January 15, 2022

Blackout Non-Worry?

 Couple of days ago, via WDR (public TV for the NW of Germany)....they ran some piece which I'd basically say was a 'prepper' segment for blackouts.

A fair number of Germans saw the piece, and didn't think that much over the 'drama'.

Some journalists (like at Bild and other print-media groups) talked about this and why you'd need to discuss blackouts.

What I'll say is this....right now....most Germans are acceptable to one or two blackouts a year....for an hour or two.  That's usually the standard (2022 era). 

If it were a five-hour blackout....they'd like to know why.

I think most of what WDR talked about was a five-hour type situation and just preparing you for that possibility.

There's chatter going on in the public though....with all the nuke plant-shutdown (all will be quiet by the end of 2022), and the anticipated shutdown of coal plants by 2030.....that power won't be that stable as we arrive in 2030. 

I'm a optimistic sort of person.  I think there will always be enough 'juice' there....it just won't be German-produced power, it'll be French nuke-power or Polish coal-power....bought at hefty rates.  

I also think most city lamp-posts will be low-power LED lights by 2030.  

I think most stores will close by 6 PM by 2030.  

I think German stores with cooling units will only run the cooling on extreme days (when it's above 35 degrees C), by 2030.

I think German E-car charging will be mostly non-functional between 7 AM and 4 PM by 2030.  

I think the 39 cent per Kwh current rate in Germany (highest of any European country) will be near 50 cents by 2030.  

I think that some Germans will be using cheap Chinese-made candles for lighting purposes by 2030.

I think that dish-washers will be rarely used and paper plates will be popular around 2030.

I think that restaurants that are open past sundown by 2030, will be handing you a 3 Euro surcharge for lighting and extra electrical use after 7 PM.  

Yeah....I'm not that worried about blackouts.  We can all re-learn how to live in a miserable existence like we did in the 1880s....before power came along.  It's not a big deal.  The fact that our French or Czech neighbors aren't living in this mental stage?  Well....it will start to dawn on people....that some folks have it better, and maybe Germans will ask some really stupid questions.  

No comments: