Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Five Things on Germany's Covid Situation That Frustrated Me

 1.  Back around early 2021.....the immunization business started up in Germany, and Channel 1/2 (ARD/ZDF, public TV) wanted to show you nightly (8 PM and 9:45 PM) news on Covid.....with needle injection imagery.  

I'm a weak-wussy guy on shots, and just standing in the animal clinic to get my cats vaxed'up....I'll get weak and have to almost sit down or exit the room.

So this nightly thing.....now going on a year....occurs, with Doctor 'Johan' immunizing 'Helga' or some guy, and I have to look to the other side of the room.  Every single night?  Yes.....sometimes once or twice....sometimes a dozen times.

I doubt if any evening news has ever passed where they didn't do a Covid update, and the shot-business has been on the screen for at least five to eight seconds.

2.  These public TV Brennpunkt specials.  As nightly news ends on public TV (ARD)....8:15 PM....since March of 2020, there's probably been at least 450 15-minute Brennpunkt specials (usually 15-to20 minutes) where they think they didn't tell you enough exciting Covid news during the 15-minute news piece, and they don't want to wait until 9:45 PM to tell you this stuff.

Germans will tell you.....they are inundated with this 'update-emergency-info' stuff, and some will admit they are finished.....no more Brennpunkt specials at 8:15 PM for them.  

Even as patient as I am.....the thousand-odd extra hours poured into this.....have burned me out on the subject.

3.  You have to watch regional/national news around the clock because the ban-rules change.....week to week.

If you went off to Turkey for four weeks of vacation.....you have to ask folks about what changes occurred and update yourself on the newest ban-rule deal.

4.  The most stupid thing I was....spring 2021....was my local hardware shop (Obi) had hired security people to wipe/control the shopping carts.  You couldn't enter, without interacting with Alli-the-Turk, who was wiping down shopping carts, and he tried to spray some Irish-Spring-like alcohol stuff on your hands.  

I came there to buy a stupid fuse for the fuse-box, and the idea of needing a shopping cart made no sense to me at all.  

When I brought the cart back to the parking lot.....there was Alli and he greeted me with more stink-soap spray.  My wife (German) asked me upon returning....where the hell I'd been to stink so much.

5.  I had to go with the wife to a local grocery.....2021 time-frame.  They hired special security to limit shopping carts, and to only allow 20 people into the grocery at one time.  

We (the German wife and I) stood there....number 15 in line....waiting to enter, as this black cloud moved over us.  I calculated....telling her we had 20 minutes before a massive amount of rain came.  I was wrong, it started around minute 18....just as this Alli gave us the thumbs up that we could enter.    

This is the occasion where we entered....loaded up the cart, and got to the three potential check-out lines.  There....the grocery clerk 'kid' started having a coughing attack, and my wife freaked out.....we can't stand in that line.  So we left this line at the check-out point, and stood as far away from the 'kid' as possible.  

No comments: