Monday, April 17, 2023

Math Story

 I sat and watched the AM news on Brit GBN this morning.  Major topic?  Well....some study was concluded, and out of the fifty-odd million Brit adults existing today....they figure that around 8-million adults can only perform math up to what a nine-year-old kid could achieve.  Yeah, basically saying in the range of 15-to-20 percent were marginally capable of math.

To be honest, I suspect if you laid out the level of most 12-year-old kids and forty-year old people (German, American, it doesn't matter)....the vast number of forty-year olds probably stand at the same level as a 12-year old.

I remember sitting there around the 7th grade and having these word problems pop up.  The bulk of the class was unable to really handle this.  The same people today...at age 64?  Same issues...same results.

The journalists seeming shocked?  I'm pretty sure if you applied the word question to them....probably half would have problems....even if they claimed they were college-educated.  

2 comments:

Daz said...

Stop thinking that GBN portrays anything remotely like news. It's about as independent as the Global Times Daily.

Charlie said...

Wow. I guess we have been advised. Sometimes I'm just not sure. It may be a brilliant marketing plan. Because after reading a comment like that, the first thing I'm going to do is look up GBN. It's reflex.