Friday, August 25, 2023

Ecars and Germany

 Interesting piece in Focus this AM....talking about the German government goal of 15-million E-cars registered in Germany by 2030.

For the record, at the end of 2022....the registered number were 1.1-million.  For 2022....they ended up with roughly 830,000 new E-cars on the road.  Comparing numbers?  Roughly one out of three cars sold....were E-cars.

So what the article hinted at?  Well.....even being optimistic, no one really believes they will reach the 15-milliion number of 2030.  There's some assumption that they will top 1-million new E-cars for 2023, and they might come close to 1.5-million in 2024.  

The emphasis here....they won't be anywhere near the 15-million number.

I went and did the test drive in 2019, and will admit the Audi E-tron is a fine car.  Selling me on E-cars?  It's pretty difficult because I tend to engage on the battery business, and the continuing trend of electrical cost.  To me, it only makes sense to buy the car....if I were putting panels up on the house and generating a significant amount of my power.  I'm also shaking my head over how they will make-up for gas taxes, and bring the general cost of the these E-cars down.  

As we arrive at 2030, will this failed achievement of the goal a big deal?  No.  The Chancellor will probably deliver a 12-minute speech how everyone worked hard, and it's just a fantasy number (made-up).

No comments: