Monday, December 27, 2021

Airline Chatter

 I've chatted about this several times,  and I noticed via N-TV (commercial German news) the topic came up again today.....the bills for flights to return Germans from being stuck overseas when Covid started in 2020.

The court decided in the past two weeks that it's a legit bill....so the debt is now handed to the Germans who were stuck.

How many emergency flights were arranged?  Well.....260.

Bills to be sent out?  They are now down to the final 7,000 bills (starting originally at 54k).

It's about a quarter-million Germans who were stuck somewhere on the Earth and unable to get scheduled flight home.

Total cost of the whole 'rescue'?  It's up to the mid-90-million.

A fair number were peeved about being stranded, and likely suing their airlines for that problem.  

What I found interesting about this whole deal....the EU actually contributed around 30-odd million Euro to the rescue package....so no one is really paying the full price on this situation.  

Me being almost in the middle of this as well?  Interestingly enough, I had two tickets to Japan for late March, and I came all the way up to 7 days prior to leaving....when I realized that we'd never be able to return.  Luckily, the airline offered me a free cancellation (getting my money back).  Otherwise, I probably would have sat in Japan for two to three months before some rescue deal occurred.

No comments: