Tuesday, June 18, 2024

My Zoll Experience Yesterday

 I'm retired military, and via the German rules.....I can shop at a BX/commissary, with a card....reporting the purchases once a month at the  local Zoll-office (the tax office)....then pay a 13-percent 'tax' on whatever I bought.  

To be honest, I doubt if I use the card more than eight times a year, and there's probably only a dozen-odd items at the commissary that are of interest to me.

So the rules are....I keep all receipts, and  go on the first week of each month to Wiesbaden Zoll-office.  It's down by the river, and it's one of those places with almost zero parking.  You walk in.....they do a tally of what you spent (usually taking 30 to 50 minutes), then hand you a bill (typically between 10 and 25 Euro).

Back as Covid hit....they went to a 'don't-come-and-visit-us' standard.   You were allowed to just mail the card and receipts to them,  and a week later....you'd get the card back with a bill in the mail.  This simplified the whole deal, and avoided the stupid parking problem.

For three years, this worked.  Actually, I thought it would last.

Well....last month, they sent me a note.....the don't-come-and-visit-us' routine is halted.  We want you to come and visit.

Yesterday, I went over.  Parking?  Non-existent.....six tractor trailer rigs took up half of their  parking lot (this was a 7 AM).

I walked down the hallway, and noticed a couple of Zoll recruitment posters.  They were aimed at 18-to-21 year old folks.

I looked for the older gal who handled the cards....well....she's now retired.

The six to eight older guys who worked around the place?  Gone....they seem to have retired during the Covid-era.

Here were mostly 20-year old Zoll employees....all in military/police uniforms.  

The visit?  Well....it took about 50 minutes to do the paperwork.  If you count up the 60 minute drive....I wasted two hours of time.  I don't mind the tax....it's just this stupid paperwork drill experience.  

No comments: