Friday, October 22, 2021

'Cave' Syndrome?

 It's a term I hadn't heard of.....spoken via Focus this AM, and relating to Covid.

The way that this is described....it's a mental state where you felt 'safe' in the 'cave', and Covid convinced you to be happy while in the 'cave'.  So with social stuff opening up (theaters, bars, pubs, etc)....people are reluctant to exit the 'cave'.

There's a survey mentioned in the article.....although going back to Feb 2021 (Americans used for the survey, not Germans) which says that 41-percent of folks just weren't that thrilled about walking around in public places.

I sat and thought about it.  

From 2013 to Feb 2020....I was a major customer of the bus/rail business here in Germany.  Once the virus hit....I halted virtually all use of trains and buses.  I've ridden the local bus one two times here in 2021, and I'll admit I had some anxiety on both trips. Anyone coughing?  I had the urge to get off at the next stop. 

I had the cough-worry last fall (2020) while in a grocery store.  I was number three in line to pay and exit....when the clerk-kid coughed.  It took me around 4 seconds to decide this wasn't the right line for me, and I stepped away to another clerk....waiting another five minutes extra.  

The regional bus folks will admit that they've taken a major hit on usage and their profits are substantially less than what they are used to.

Will 'cave' syndrome end up being a treated problem at some German mental clinic?   It wouldn't surprise me if by spring of 2022....health experts start to admit that they get a call or two each week, and have 'groups' that they handle....taking people through various stages to exit 'cave' syndrome.  

No comments: