Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Three German News Stories

 1.  I noticed out of WELT this AM....an article with the German authorities announcing they've come to an all-time record of 'cheating' on the German driver's test.  What's the deal about?

Well....there might have been a level of cheating going on for years and they just didn't notice all the tricks being played....this, I might suggest.

I've taken the German driver's test three times in my life (1978, 1984, and 1992).  It was the US military Germany test.  I'll vouch and say....it's not simple.  

It was divided into two portions.....a sign test and the general theory test.  

The sign test?  Roughly one-hundred signs and a hundred definitions, with a limited amount of time.  If I remember it correctly.....you had roughly ten to fifteen seconds per sign, and for most people (I'd suggest near 40-percent)....they failed on the first attempt.  You have to have a style or method to the signs, and not waste much time.

The theory test?  You were given a manual to read over and there was a practice test in the end.  If you just spent three hours reading the manual and memorized the practice test....you were guaranteed to pass. 

My perception of this cheating?  I think a fair number of migrants are in the mix, and this level of testing is pretty dramatic for these folks.  

2.  Shooting in Brussels?  What I can say is that a Tunisian guy (45 years old) shot dead two Swedes on the street.  3rd guy was wounded.  Update: Cops shot the Tunisian dead after the search.  

3.  The fired RBB TV network (one of the sub public TV networks in Germany) director....wants her retirement pension restored.  Goes to court.  I would imagine the court will say that even though she was fairly incompetent at handling network funds.....she does deserve something.  

No comments: