Saturday, June 4, 2022

Bookstore Window Story

 I stood in front of the last remaining book shop of Wiesbaden yesterday.  There's four display windows.....to 'entice' one to step in and buy a book.

Curiously.....one of the windows featured '1984' and 'Animal Farm'....both written by Orwell.....6.99 euro per book.

In recent months, there's been a fair amount of hype on '1984'.  I'm not that sure about Germans having read the book (or Animal Farm).  

The general hype?  It comes via social media, and it revolves around society that has 'fallen' and become a dystopian society.  

1984 has been around for 70-plus years and probably would be considered mostly a 'dead' book.

I picked up Animal farm around the ninth grade of school, and was enticed six months later to pick up 1984.  For me, 1984 didn't make that much sense and I just couldn't imagine society getting this #ucked-up.  

Success on marketing the window and getting books sold?  Well....the pricing is great and I could see them selling a hundred copies easily.  

No comments: