Thursday, June 16, 2022

Three Odd Things

 1.  Yesterday, I ventured into France....on a grocery trip (Cora is my favorite).  So I got into the coffee area and here are these new 'pad coffees'. 

Yes, Twix, Mars, and Milky Way flavored.

I paused there for a minute.  Personally, I like just plain black coffee, with zero milk, and zero sugar.  It's just not something that would attract me.

2. About 2.5 months ago, my wife contacted (submitted is a better word) a request to the BMW-Mini dealer for a test-drive of the hypbrid.

She's more or less admitting that the new Audi A5 we have.....is too big, although she readily admits it's best driving car you could imagine.

So we waited, and waited, and waited.

This AM, the local dealer finally called (10 weeks after we sent them an email).  Arranged for a test-drive?  No....just on some list now.

You know.....all the way to 2019....if you just hinted to a dealer of any type (US, Germany)....that you might be interested....they were full-throttle to entice you come on down....sit for a while, and do a test-drive.

Problems?  Virtually all of the German car-makers are saying it's now a minimum of six months, and on up to fourteen months....before you can get  a purchased car.

Two weeks ago, I was reading a piece via the business news.....describing Germany as the 'new-Cuba'....in that only used cars really exist now.  

My humble guess is that we will get a call in three weeks, for a test-drive by the end of July.  If we did buy something in August?  Oh....it'd probably be September/October of 2023 before it'd arrive.

3.  I ventured down to Ramstein (my old base) yesterday.  I only go there twice a year now.  

So for three years, they've been working on a new east-gate (to enter and exit the base).  

I decided upon the end of the day.....to exit the newly opened east-gate.  

I'd describe the 'course' as the 'Monaco Grand Prix'.  From where the old east-gate was....you take a curve and the 'Grand Prix' course starts up.  All total on curves before you are actually on the German state-road?  Probably sixteen curves, and a minimum of 2.5 miles added to what was a quarter-mile exit before.

Navigating the 'course' after a beer or two at the club?  No....forget about that.  With the narrow road developed and the various curves....you must be clear-headed and probably drive no more than 25 kph for the whole 'course'.

Money spent?  Between asphalt, concrete, bridge work, security enhancements....has to be a minimum of $15-million.  

My advice, for retired folks who might venture down to Ramstein for any reason....avoid the east-gate, and go out the old west-gate.  And I'd double down on that advice if you have to exit after dark or in a serious rain-storm.  

No comments: