Thursday, June 30, 2022

On My Mind

 I saw this discussion (forum event) start up this week in Germany, where some Americans and some Germans discussed....do you have more freedom in Germany, than in the US?

The majority of the views....'YES', more freedom or better freedom in Germany.  How they explained it and how I interpreted it.....in Germany, the 'herd' is allowed to roam, and mingles somewhere in the middle of the field, and is more happy with their grazing 'allowances'.  

From their chatter, it wasn't really more freedom....it was decisive freedom (you could have a daily jellyroll at the mid-morning pause, but it had 50-percent less sugar type of thinking).

 Oh, I agree...there are certain German freedoms you don't get in the US:

Example: Prostitution is legal in Germany.

Example: You can still drive at a unlimited speed on 70-percent of autobahns.

Example: You can still drink 'pure' brewed German beer from a 1516 mandate....no additives mixed in.

Example: You can still get pretty drunk and wasted while on vacation in another country.....getting rid of all that wasted frustration you gathered up all year.

US limits on life:

Example: I grew up in a dry county in Alabama.....that only in the past twenty years.....has gone to 'wet' and allowed beer/wine.  

Do I think much about this freedom 'talk', either via the German or American hyped-up discussion?  NO.  Generally, I'm doing pretty much what I want....unless you write some regulation to prevent from doing X or Y.  

My gut tells me that the less you regulate society....the better off you are in the end.  If you say I have these 252 'freedoms'.....you are stressing the point that outside of each of these 'freedoms'.....there's some regulations involved.  

I used to live in a German village that had some guy at least two evening a week around 10 PM....would play his trumpet about 15 minutes on the balcony.  He wasn't a bad musician.....but it came over the years to irritate various residents and they kept wanting regulation by the mayor to halt this.  The mayor kept fighting this off....not wanting to add more regulation. 

So, as you can tell.....I'm not into this discussion of more or less freedoms....I'm just in the mindset to avoid more regulations.  

I don't want micro Pepsi cans with just enough for 100 calories.  

I don't want hefty fines for using too much electrical power for my status.  

I don't want someone measuring my farm and telling that instead of forty cows....I can only have 33.  

I don't want a cat limit defined as public policy.  

I don't want a bacon limit defined as no more than 16 stripes per month.  

I don't desire a cocktail limit of two per weekend.  

I don't want to be told that when I wear sandals....I need to wear a pair of black socks as a fashion statement policy. 

Less regulation is better than more freedom.  

No comments: